Monday, April 27, 2009

Something made me think about this...

Grandpa walks into the room and sees his 4 year old grandson sitting peacefully on the couch. The kid is obviously deep in thought. Grandpa curiously waits a few moments before breaking the silence. “What are you thinking about buddy?” The child pinches his lips to the side and says with a sigh…”candy.” (Ha ha ha. This is really very funny.)

I’m a sugar addict and I’ve surely passed this on to my children. I love candy- especially chocolate. I’m not ashamed to say that I love Halloween for the candy and find that dressing up actually slows you down when trick-or-treating. I should know because I went trick-or-treating well beyond the age limit that so many parents frown at nowadays….anyway, my son’s love of candy is the most obvious. When all of the resources in the house have been exhausted he resorts to climbing on the counter and scooping sugar out of the container by hand. And I get the fun job of sweeping the floor and scrubbing dried sugar barnacles off of the counter. So, I hide the crock of sugar for a few days and he goes to his next vice which is the cake sprinkles. Again, he climbs on the counter and rummages through the cupboards looking for the tiny bottle with colored sugar or worse yet the tiny, colored fake chocolate turds. Poor kid, they aren’t even that sweet.

He’s at that age too where he doesn’t hide it well. When I hear him in the kitchen I ask, “What are you doing?” and he says, “I’m not getting sugar momma…” or he answers with a hostile, “nothing! No…I’m not…” and when I bust him in the act he starts that uncontrollable laugh because he know I’m coming for him. I don’t have to wonder what is going through his mind when he does these things. I get it. I totally and completely understand what drives him and my two daughters to think, dream, and eat candy in excess.

No comments:

Post a Comment